Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Adventure in Bakassi, Cameroon - Chapter 3

27 Dec 08, my luggage
My luggage supposed to reach Douala Airport at 11am. Driver Idris will take it for me. So I just wait wait, eat my leftover burger for breakfast. Still no news. When admin had the news, it is bad news. My luggage is not yet to be found. Operation manager decided to send me to barge as soon as possible. So they send me with Florence, accountant to buy some necessity. Imported stuffs are so expensive in Cameroon. One knee length pants made in Bangladesh cost around 20USD (price of 2 disgusting pizzas). Bangladesh stuff is very cheap n Bangladesh, not reasonable price. We got out of the store and head to other store to see any cheaper stuff. I got a call that my luggage is in staff house, they found my luggage. I can't say I am not a lucky girl. Others have to wait at least 1 week to get their luggage, and I always get my luggage back the next day. Bad Kenya Airline. Get my big luggage back, but my beauty kit still want to travel without me. It is fine, because I have my facial cleanser in big luggage. Hehehehe. Thank God! Then I headed to Douala port where the barge is parking. On the way, by the river, there are many couples dating, western style of dating if u get what I meant. The barge is so huge, n white. At first I can't see it, because I stand too near to it, Europa Barge. Tall and huge!

The barge has nice rooms, with attached bathroom and a window. It is very nice and clean. Menu for dinnerand lunch are good too, they always have nice fresh fish.

When I get there, I was given barge orientation by barge HSE, Robert. He took he around the barge, telling me where to go if have emergency, bla bla bla. He is Cameroonian, but he speaks like singaporean with all 'le, la'. I realised freach speaker who speak English, always have this slang of singaporean or malaysian, 'la le'.

After that, I went to survey office and met all new colleagues, who mostly are Indonesian, some Bangladeshi. Then rest in my room and sleep.

No comments: